I’ll admit—I used to think detoxing was a complete scam.
Juice cleanses, restrictive fasts and sugar detoxes marketed to us from every angle?
Scam. Scammy. Scam.
How could they ever be healthy when they don’t provide lasting results? Besides, isn’t your liver already doing all the detoxing needed (that’s kind of like it’s function, right?)?
Here’s what I’ve learned after looking into the research…
Because of the toxins and chemicals we’re continually bombarded with every day (in the air we breathe, the water we drink, the products we use and the food we eat) we get bogged down. Over time, the result is that some of these substances accumulate in our tissue and can lead to headaches, pain, digestive distress, disease and stubborn weight that won’t come off.
When we help our body detox, thus removing this toxic burden, our organs can direct more focus toward things we want...like generating great energy levels and shedding pounds!
That’s why just about everyone can benefit from doing a thorough, regimented detox at least a couple times a year...and in the meantime, there are also ways we can support our body in daily detoxification, too!
10 tips for Daily Detoxification:
1. Stay Hydrated. This is the key to supporting your kidneys day in and day out. Aim to drink about half your body weight in ounces, up to 100 ounces each day. So, if you weigh 200 pounds, you would halve that to 100 pounds. Then, just change pounds to ounces. In this case you’d be drinking 100 ounces of water each day. Drinking water will make you feel more lively by naturally supporting your liver and kidneys, the organs responsible for detoxing. Just like eating every 3-4 hours is a key strategy for balancing your blood sugars so that you stay ahead of your hunger, drinking water before you’re thirsty follows a similar pattern. It’s also a good idea to make sure your water is filtered, because many chemicals, like chlorine and fluoride, are in our water systems.
2. Avoid foods you’re sensitive to. This one may seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people I come across who say they know they are sensitive to something, but they take the hit and eat it anyway.
3. Choose organic when you can. Conventional fruits and vegetables are commonly treated with an array of toxic pesticides that can build up in our tissues over time (which is why we are detoxifying in the first place!), so opt for organic when possible, or be sure to wash your conventional produce thoroughly. Organic meat is your best bet because animals are fed organically, and since they are what they eat (just like we are), their meat will contain fewer toxins as well. That said just because organic can be healthier, not all organic food is healthy. (Re: organic cookies! organic candy!)
4. Take it easy on the alcohol. While alcohol can be part of a balanced life, and I certainly don’t mean to be a Negative Nancy, the reality is that alcohol is hard on the liver. When you drink alcohol, your liver’s primary goal is to detoxify and get rid of it. This means it’s not only wearing out your primary detoxification organ, but it’s causing your liver to focus on detoxifying the alcohol instead of other toxins you’re bombarded with every day. If you do drink, I recommend having a glass of water between drinks to help support your liver.
5. Exercise smart. When you’re not in the middle of a 10 Day Reset Program, you can ramp up your exercise routine! This helps you sweat out the toxins that can settle into your tissues. The exercise I recommend is the metabolism-boosting kind, specifically HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) or Crossfit style workouts. This means alternating short periods of intense exercise with recovery periods. It’s as simple as doing some exercise and then resting. This kind of exercise will get your heart rate up, and those toxins out!
6. Supplement to support your body’s natural detoxification process. Take ProbioVive™, Pure Glutacaps™ and Pure Fish Oil daily. These three key supplements help to negate inflammation that will inevitably be caused from a variety of things, including and not limited to our environment and not eating perfectly. In general, we recommend three of each of these supplements per day, ideally the ProbioVive™, and Pure Glutacaps™are taken 15 minutes before food and Pure Fish Oil is taken with food. For personalized recommendations, book your one-on-one Supplement Consultation Call with a Dietitian Coach to get on the fast track!
7. Consider not only what you’re putting in your body but also what you're putting on your body. Your skin is your largest organ, and skincare products are one of the main sources of toxins we encounter in our lives. Every day, we slather chemically-laden skincare products on our skin without blinking an eye. Since our body absorbs what we put on our skin, skincare products, just like food and supplements, should be of the highest quality. I used to not care about skincare, but now I make it a priority to use natural, toxic-free skincare products and makeup. My skincare routine is Aloe Herb Facial Cleanser to wash my face, then Anti-Aging Serum all over, and Anti-Aging Eye Cream under and around my eyes. On days when I prefer lighter coverage (i.e. not for TV segments, but for everyday wear), I use natural Earth Minerals makeup, and throughout the day I spray the Toning Mist as a refresher. For sun protectant, I use Sun Love.
8. Switch to natural cleaning products. Nontoxic cleaning products ensure you aren’t adding additional toxins to your counters, windows, walls, furniture and floors.
9. Get a massage. If you need an excuse to get a full body rub-down, then here it is. Massage can stimulate muscles and help remove toxins that have settled into your tissue. On top of that, it is a circulation booster, which helps push those toxins out. Just be sure to drink plenty of water before and after your massage to flush those toxins out of your body completely.
10. Consider the sauna. Saunas and steam rooms stimulate sweating and circulation which helps your body to naturally detox on its own.
Ease the toxic burden on your body daily, and you’ll feel better every day. You’ll be setting yourself up for success in the long run, too!
Now, these are daily detox strategies, but at least a couple time a year we can ALL benefit from a regimented, balanced detox, and that’s why I created a step-by-step detox program that’s doable (it’s only 10 days!) and trustworthy (we’re dietitians and we’ve put 1000s of clients through this program over the years!) and natural and based on real food (like everything here at Cassie.net!).
The results of a balanced detox program are life-changing and noticeable right away! By replenishing important nutrients and removing stored toxins, you can support your brain power and energy pathways. This is how you start to feel like the Energizer Bunny rather than weighed down and bloated like you’ve been feeling, perhaps after the holiday season.
Registration for the 10-Day Reset is currently closed, but you can click here to add your name to the waitlist for the next one! You will receive a notification as soon as enrollment for the next 10-Day Reset with Cassie is open!